Google is constantly improving their search algorithm and results pages. So what is new in 2017? Google have already confirmed a mobile-first index and
prioritisation on local searches.
Local results have already been more prominent in the past. This trend will continue as more people use the search engine on mobile phones than desktops.
This means that google automatically present search results based on your actual geographic location. It is now more important than ever to have a
Google My Business setup so you can appear for local searches.
Mobile First Index
More important than ever is to have a mobile friendly website which means desk top is no longer their priority.
To rank well you will need quality and unique content for your site.
Google explicitly advised to avoid:
• tomatically generated content
• Participating in link schemes
• Creating pages with little or no original content
• Sneaky redirects
• Hidden text or links
• Doorway pages
• Scraped content
• Participating in affiliate programs without adding sufficient value
• Loading pages with irrelevant keywords
• Creating pages with malicious behaviour, such as phishing or installing viruses, trojans, or other badware
• Abusing rich snippets mark-up
• Sending automated queries to Google
Google are displaying more feature snippets these days and we’ll expect these to increase. Feature snippets appear above the organic results with a link
to the source.
Backlinks from quality websites will remain important.
Social media authority
The more your content has been shared into social channels like Google+, Facebook, Twitter, etc the better for your ranings.
Page Loading Speed
Pop-ups Will Hurt Your Rankings
From January 10th 2017 Google will start to penalise sites with those annoying pop-ups, starting with mobile websites.